Friday, March 15, 2013

Wildlife

Since the big wet has eased the wildlife has emerged.

I think this guy is a male King Parrot. They're not common around our area but I've seen a few over the last couple of weeks.


Frogs are around in huge numbers at the moment. There seems to be more native frogs than cane toads which makes me happy. This baby green tree frog was only a couple of centimeters long.

This young Kookaburra appears when you fire up the barbecue. He's either very smart or he's picked up the skill from his parents. Most likely the latter, which is why you shouldn't feed the animals. The mud on its beak is most likely a sign that it still has some foraging skills.


Drosofila flies are around in the gazillions. Annoying as they are, I have a soft spot for these little guys. With a generation time of about seven days they are an amazing tool to demonstrate the power of natural selection. At uni I spent a lot of time breeding and analysing them. (These look like D. melanogaster species).  

There's also been some not so wild life around as well.

No comments: