Sunday, October 14, 2012

Forest Fuel


Brisbane has been in the clutches of a dry spell since the unseasonal heavy falls in July, leading to a bumper crop of dry fuel in the forests. There have already been a few fires, most notably the prescribed burn that got out of control near the Gap a few months ago, and others to the north of the city. There's been nothing major yet but you have to think that it's only a matter of time. The Fire Danger Warning signs around our area have been on 'Extreme' for some time. 

This less used trail is one I often take but yesterday... hmmm, it's prime time... one snake already been spotted... riding alone... think I'll give it a miss.

The alternate trail gets much more use. Look at all that biomass! 


This is the area I posted photos of immediately after the prescribed burn in August. After the shower of rain through the week a green tinge is emerging.

Shocker of a cheap phone photo, but there's a wallaby in the center munching on the new green shoots.

2 comments:

JonC said...

At last an update!
Nice to see photies of the forest.
But what is that bike? It has gears and suspensions!
So weird!

DudePa said...

So unfamiliar is that bike, it almost had me OTB when I jumped out of the saddle to ride up the driveway!