Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hue - April 15th

Not hue, it's hway.

Hue is the hottest place we've been so far. Noticeably hotter than even Bangkok. So how do you travel from Da Nang to Hue when it's this hot? By bus with no aircon and vinyl seats of course. It looks so much better in the photo than in real life. It was dodgy as....


Our room at the Gerbera Hotel is another one straight from the '80s with a glass bathroom, but it's clean, large and has a great view of the river and city.


 
We arrived on the last day of the Hue Festival, a week of activities to promote the area as a tourist destination. The number of people on the street to watch the closing ceremony fireworks based around the Citadel was unbelievable.

Here's the last minute of the show from the balcony of our room. We're 8 floors up but you can still hear the oohs and aahs from the streets and riverfront.


Did I mention it was hot here? Monday night was a shocker, at 9:30pm it was still 29C and 94% humidity. It's rare to find anywhere, other than the hotels, that is air conditioned so you just have to sweat it out.

Some local beers Huda and Festival. I'm not a fan of either. All the beer photos may lead you to believe that I'm doing a lot of drinking but it's more of a tasting. Other than the beers in the photos I've pretty much been drinking soda water. True!




Harry asked about the number of motor scooters. There's a few.


Its always interesting to look around the local supermarkets. Anyone for mealy grubs or offal?
  

Dragon boats along the river. You want boat ride, one hour... cheap. We've heard that at least 100 times since we arrived.

Every time I see one of these signs I get the Four Seasons earworm 'Walk like a man, talk like a man, walk like a man my son....'. Very annoying.


Hue is a nice place. Always plenty happening and you never feel uncomfortable (other than the heat). It's 10:30 pm and the streets outside the motel are still buzzing with people.





No comments: